What are the health benefits of aromatherapy?
Aromatherapy has been done for the past several thousand years for spiritual, mental and physical health. Aromatherapy is generally done with essential oils – oils that are extracted from roots, barks, leaves and flowers, then mixed into lotions and massage oils, before massaging it into the skin. The healing and soothing fragrances of the essential oils, when inhaled, can improve our health and contribute towards our overall wellbeing.
Essential oils: Essential oils were used by people as far back as the Egyptian culture. The Egyptians extracted oils for herbs and plants by soaking these and then filtering the oil through a piece of linen or a linen bag. But the actual term ‘aromatherapy’ was coined by a French chemist in the 19th century, who used essential oils to treat the wounded during the World War I. According to his experiments, these essential oils could be calming, stimulating and antiseptic.
Contemporary research has shown that essential oil can be used to kill several types of infections; can be mixed in shampoos and soaps that are used by hospital staff to prevent the spread of dangerous infections; is beneficial for women experiencing labor and those giving birth. Essential oil can also prevent the outbreak of shingles.
Benefits of Aromatherapy
- Aromatherapy generally combines the goodness of a soothing massage with the healing and psychotherapeutic fragrances of essential oils.
- Aromatherapy can boost your mood and drain out the stress from your body and mind. If you combine aromatherapy with a balanced diet, enough exercise and a good lifestyle, then you can reap the maximum benefits of aromatherapy.
- Aromatherapy is good for the immune system, and can help the body fight against diseases.
- Aromatherapy can be beneficial for women undergoing PMS as well as menopausal distress. It is also good for women in labor, as research shows that the healing fragrances can increase satisfaction of the birthing experience.
- The healing fragrances of essential oils can relieve constipation and can even stop abdominal spasms.
It is good for the respiratory system, and can cure sinusitis, tonsillitis and cough.
- Aromatherapy can relax the muscles, and relieve muscular aches and pains.
- Aromatherapy increases lymphatic drainage and blood circulation, and this assist to flush out the toxins and cellulite from the body.
- Aromatherapy can help you cope with stress-related diseases, insomnia as well as lower blood pressure and stress levels.
- If you suffer from constant headaches or emotional stress, then aromatherapy can help you cope with anxiety and mild depression.